Don't look for your damned inspiration here!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My bloody eye and other news

So today I wake up and my right eye is glued shut. I think someone has played a nasty trick on me during the night. So I finally pry my eye open to discover an ugly, bloody-looking mess. The thought crossed my mind to record it and get some bloody eye stock video.

So I went to the band doc today (with my bloody eye), and found out that I've lost 14.5 pounds since my pre-op appointment. I'm quite sure I'll gain 5-7 of those pounds back in the next few weeks as I can eat more food. I have noticed that my clothes are a bit looser, for sure. I even got a comment yesterday that I looked like I've lost weight. I must admit I wasn't expecting that for another 30 pounds or so.

My zest for blogging is slowly disappearing. Probably because I've got new things on my mind now, like figuring out how I'm going to film the funeral scene for our movie in the next 3 weeks. I've recruited like 50 people to help, for free I might add. But the funeral scene is set in 1979, so I've got to figure out how to get the time right. I'm breaking my own rule here by doing a "period" scene. It's been a long-standing rule of mine that if you can't afford to do the work it takes to make a period piece, you shouldn't do one at all. If you're indie, go all the way indie and suck it up. Don't try to make it look expensive, it always backfires. That's why Buckley's ideas are so great! They're usually low-budget, very creative, and can integrate that new handheld look that has become so valuable to the indie filmmaker. And yet, here I am, buying a crane for a "sweeping shot" of the funeral. Right. Well, I think I can edit well enough that I can fake it if needed. But in 3 weeks the leaves will be on the ground and we'll be in that ever-so-short period of being in between leaves turning and snow falling. So I HAVE to get it right away. Otherwise I'll have to buy leaves and scatter them around the cemetery. Oh crap, I just remembered, now I need a freaking casket! HOW COULD I FORGET? Okay, this scene may need to be scratched. How am I going to get a freaking casket? Should I just barge in on an existing funeral and say, "Oh, hey, would YOU like to be in a movie? All you have to do is let me film granny's casket. Ok?" I'm sure that'll go over really well. Any ideas, Buckeley? We've got to show the dad's new apathy and the fact that the mom just died. I'm sure we could come up with way more creative ways of showing this.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Marion Jensen said…

    You could do a sweeping shot of the cemetary, see a 'huddled crowd' around the grave, and then it focuses on the boy and his dad in the car. One might think the dad is comforting the boy in the car or something, but he could say something cruel to the boy about his mom being gone. That way you don't need to stange the whole thing, just have the folks in the background. That should make it easier to do the period piece as well, because you only have two people to worry about wardrobe.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Tatiana said…

    The zest for blogging must not be lost! It is enjoyed! I to must say that I have noticed a difference in your fabulous physic! Keep it up! Go the distance...with the movie and all! Toddles!

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mark Atkinson said…

    My parents used to have a 1979 Pinto station wagon. Dark brown, 4-door. If I can find it would you use it in your film? Talk about period man.

    Also, why worry so much about wardrobe? Turn this flick into an NC-17 (what the H&*% does that mean?); disrobe the actors and you're there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home