Don't look for your damned inspiration here!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

TRIATHLON!

Okay, enough is enough! I really, really want to get off my ass and get going again. Am I NOT done healing yet? Okay, not quite yet, but if I can't start training in a week I'm planning on having a nervous breakdown. Not that I've been sitting at home. I shop. I go to tons of church activities. I hang out with friends. It's all good and all, but I really miss training for something.

Enter the TriEdmonton triathlon. Oh yeah. It's at the end of June. I was actually planning on doing this in December and now I'm even more determined. It's a world renouned triathlon. I'm going to do the Olympic distance in June in Edmonton and the sprint distance in May in Bountiful, Utah (just 20 minutes away). It's going to kick my proverbial butt and probably my literal butt, but my literal butt is pretty nonexistent now, so I'm sticking with proverbial butt. Anyhow, I'm so excited I could spit. My cuz has decided to train with me and we'll do it together. She'll save me from myself as this is where Kori lives and I'd be VERY, VERY tempted with him again if I saw him. But this is one week after my sister's wedding, so things are going to be pretty crazy for awhile in June.

For the triathlon challenged out there, Olympic distance triathlons are the following: 1.5km swim (about a mile), 40 km bicycle (about 25 miles), and 10k run (about 6 miles). The swim is interesting because you have to conserve your leg strength for the upcoming cycle and run, so you use more arms than regular lap swimming and you move in a dolphin-like fashion as you're swimming in turbulent lake water with a bunch of other poor saps. The next is cycling, and you have to move at a higher cadence to keep the muscles loose and flexible for the run, otherwise the run can be painful in the hips. To train for this you do bricks, which is basically back-to-back cycling/running training, so you can get used to the sensation.

So the plan is to work my way back up to the fitness level I was at 3 weeks ago (before surgery) for about 4 more weeks. Then I'll begin my 16-week training program. I don't quite know how I'll fit it all in with soccer and volleyball and cycling leagues, not to mention church stuff AND THEN there's all the stupid wedding videos I have to finish. But I'm determined to not only finish this thing, but to be competitive. Before this surgery I was running at about 5.5 mph consistently, for like an hour. I'm hoping to do the 10k at the same pace or better (since I don't have all this abdominal fat getting in the way). One fella I'm dating right now can run a mile in like 5.5 minutes. He's a rockstar. But the sucker doesn't even own a bike, so he won't do the triathlon. It would be sweet to show up with another guy when I see my ex. Okay, okay Georgia. Stop with this vengeance business. I need to have charity for him! Working on it...

Tonight I was supposed to go out with Tony (the running man), but it's boyz night out, apparently. Tony's kinda funny - he's got these fantasies, but he tries to keep them clean LOL! Anyhow, I told him to stop it. This is how it started with Kori and I'm not going down that road again. But he's a good kid (I say kid because he thinks he's SOOOOO much younger than me at age 27, a year and a half younger). I tried to move him into 'friend zone' about 2 days ago by asking about any other dates he's been on and then giving support. He didn't want to tell me at first, but then he opened up a little. I'm glad. I don't see it going anywhere with him, either. I'd rather have him as a friend, even if he is dead sexy.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! good luck with that. Sounds like a great goal and challenge!! :) Stay away from Kori girl! You deserve better! *muah*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home